Successful Together: Eastern Carolina Style BBQ Chicken (in the crock pot)

February 24, 2011

Eastern Carolina Style BBQ Chicken (in the crock pot)

If you know me...REALLY know me :) You know I love BBQ, Eastern Carolina Style Pork BBQ to be precise. I love the tangy sweetness of the sauce, so much so, this is what we served at our wedding reception (thank you Wanda and BJ's BBQ!!)
So I wanted some, and being in the land of mustard BBQ sauce, its hard to find the good stuff. Annnnnnnnnd I didn't have a pork loin. BUT ;) I did have some chicken breasts.

Ingredients:
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast ( I used frozen)
1 can swanson chicken broth
1 cup vinegar sauce*

In your crockpot,  put in your chicken breasts in and add broth and vinegar sauce. Cover and cook for 4-6 hours or until it shreds easily. *sigh* Drain the excess juices and shred chicken using forks



This is soooooooo easy and soooooooooo good. I think I am in love!

1/3 of this is 4 PointsPlus. YumYum.




*this is where all the magic yummy goodness comes in to play.
1 cups apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes


mix all ingredients together and store in a closed container over night or longer to allow flavors to blend. Sometimes when I make this, I add onion or garlic powders. Just play around with is some and see what makes it best for you!


You can make a double batch to keep some on reserve and to drizzle some more over your chicken when you serve if you want :)



11 comments:

  1. Yummmmmm. I love BBQ chicken. And how did I miss that you were doing WW? No wonder you didn't want GS cookies. LOL I'm using SparkPeople to lose weight. I thought about WW but counting calories is easier for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love me some WW. I have been at lifetime for 2 years. now trying to keep it off! :)
    I say, whatever works for you is FABU!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm mmm good!!
    You know, I was thinking I would love to try your recipe with chicken just because we always have that around... although we do love pork too! So, it's awesome to read that you made this with chicken! I love your vinegar(y) sauce ...I've never figured out went into a good sauce...thanks for sharing Angie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so welcome Dee, I have found that the longer the sauce sits around the better the flavors blend! just put in in a container and refigerate (well thats what i do!!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so making this. Yum!
    - Lorin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do it! It is so much easier than the pork since it just falls apart :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, this is one I already make too - it sure is good! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I may have to try this one. We're big BBQ people, but tend more towards the tomato base sauces...but I'm FOREVER trying to get the right blend of sweet and tangy.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow this really sounds Delish! I will have to try it for sure. Thanks to my daughter, she comes up with some of the best tasting dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the recipe! I am making it again today! Twice in a week!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment :)
I am trying to keep the captcha away but I have been having an influx of Spam comments, so only registered users can comment. I hate to add a step, but I think logging in is better than captchas :)